January 31, 2014
Introducing the 2014 Agri-energy & Waste Management Forum
Renewable agri-energy and waste management technologies enable farmers to take advantage of underutilised resources, diversify income, effectively manage waste, and reduce energy and/or waste management costs. Key to the success of any renewable agri-energy or waste management project is selecting appropriate technology to meet specific on-site energy and waste opportunities and/or challenges.
The 2014 Agri-energy & Waste Management Forum will enable attendees to enhance their renewable agri-energy and waste management knowledge through presentations and discussion on renewable energy, co-product development and waste management technologies and research pertinent to BC’s agricultural sector.
Friday January 31
Forum chair: Matt Dickson, Renewable Agri-energy Initiative (ARDCorp), Abbotsford
9:20am - 9:30am
Coffee and tea will be served in room
9:30am - 10:50pm
Anaerobic Digestion Session 1: Digester Updates
Chair: David Melnychuk
- Doug Jarvie, Manager (Fraser Valley Biogas). Presentation title: Update on Fraser Valley Biogas.
- Stefan Michalski, Director Operations (Lethbridge Biogas LP). Presentation title: Thermal Hydrolysis & Anaerobic Digestion for Animal By-Products.
10:50am - 12:20pm
Anaerobic Digestion Session 2: Digester Output Uses
Chair: Fortus BC
- Fortis BC. Presentation topic: Green Natural Gas.
- Xiying Hao, Research Scientist (AAFC Lethbridge Research Centre). Presentation title: Agronomic Values of Anaerobically Digested Cattle Manure.
- Dan Evans, President (Promus Energy LLC). Presentation title: Promus Energy's Digester-Based System: Agricultural Wastes to RNG, Recovered Nutrients and Fibre.
In this session, attendees will learn about the use of biogas as a substitute for natural gas, and hear about interesting research undertaken in Alberta.
Lunch: 12:20pm - 1:30pm
Tickets should be pre-purchased to avoid disappointment
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Chair: Darren Frew (BC Bioenergy Network)
- Dr. Craig Frear, Assistant Professor (Washington State University). Presentation topic: Nutrient Extraction from Digestate.
- Alakh Prasad, President & CEO (Quadrogen Power Systems Inc.) Quad-generation from landfill gas at a commercial greenhouse.
- Ethan Werner (CH-Four Biogas). Presentation topic: Digestion of Poultry Litter to Increase Digestate Value.
Coffee and tea to be served in room
3:00pm - 4:30pm
Nutrient and Waste Management Opportunities
Chair: Mark Raymond (BC Ministry of Agriculture)
- Marcel Pitre, Senior Project Engineer - Solid Waste Services (Metro Vancouver). Presentation title: Organics Disposal Ban in Metro Vancouver.
- Victor Lo, Professor (UBC). Presentation title: Technologies for Dairy Manure Management and Nutrient Recover.
- Michael Schwalb, Waste Management Specialist (Ministry of Agriculture). Presentation title: Waste Management Benefits of the Pyrolysis of Poultry Litter.
Drinks Reception: 4:30pm - 6:30pm
Please join us in the Loft for a few drinks and snacks with your fellow attendees and presenters.